Thursday, June 14, 2012

impression of the novel

Impression of the novel
    So far I have read about 30pages of the book, and I also read some background of the era the story had happened. This is a developing period, Mark Twain called it the "Gilded Age."
   In the book, I know that the city of Chicago got bigger, and richer; but it also grew dirtier, darker, and more dangerous in this era. Just like the city, the main character became richer and more successful. In the beginning, the book has shown the job experience of the main character, Burnham. In these 30pages, we know how Burnham and his partner Root became successful, and we know how they design the first skyscraper in Chicago. And it also talks about the fair held in Paris. The Chicago got the right to hold  the fair, and Burnham and Root  would be the lead designers.
    After  reading these sections of the novel,  I feel just a little boring of it, because so far,  I still cannot read something about the murder. The beginning of the novel is too long. But I still expect the rest of the book will be much more brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment